December

Monday, February 15, 2010

Camden Josephine's Arrival!




We arrived at the hospital to check in for my induction 5 minutes late. It is the strangest feeling to walk in to be induced. I of course was nervous that my body wouldn't take to the induction and it would be a repeat of Addalyn's failed induction. I wouldn't really have minded waiting to try to go on my own but with my mom in town I was too scared to waste time. So after the nurse tried several times to put in an IV she finally got it in the third spot she tried, a week later I still have all the bruising. Camden was so active all morning that the nurse commented that she had never seen such an active baby during labor before. Anyway like so many of my other inductions my body did nothing with the pitocin. So at 1pm the Dr. came in said hello and before I had time to worry that the baby was up to high he broke my water. As soon as the next contraction came I new that things would be fast. I asked the nurse how long it would take after I requested an epidural she let me know that it could be 20min to one hour, so needless to say I requested one right away! So she hooked me up to the two bags of fluid she said I had to have first. While the fluid went in me I began to drift into my own world of PAIN! I kept asking how much longer until finally the epidural man came and what I thought was my pain relief. The guy could not for some reason get the needle in straight, it kept going to the left. He tried for what felt like an eternity to get it even. I kept doing my breathing but honestly it was a toss up whether he was hurting me more or the contractions were. So after about 20-30 minutes he told me I could lay down. Laying down was HORRIBLE and I really wanted to sit back up. I then looked over at epidural man and pleaded to know when the pain would go away. He said it would take 15 minutes, he might as well have said 3 hours. After about 1 minute of laying down I had the oh so familiar feeling to push. I gasped "oh no" and the nurse became concerned I told her I needed to push so she wanted to check me. I was contracting at that moment so I told her there was no way I could lift my legs. Finally she hurried and checked me and saw what I already knew IT WAS TIME! Epidural man came back in and injected more stuff in my line to try and provide me with some relief, it did not work. The nurse then informed me not to push, easier said then done, that the Dr was across the street and he would not be happy if the nurse delivered the baby. So as I struggled to endure the pain and push uncontrollably with my legs down the Dr finally arrived. I had just enough time to put my legs up and after being asked if I remembered how to push I gave one push and shot her head out. They told me I could take a break but I thought that was funny so I continued with that push and out came our girl! From the time I actually was in labor to when she arrived was 1hr. It was crazy fast and it really hurt, the epidural didn't kick in until after she was out. The whole thing was such a whirlwind and although there are things I could have done with out, none effective epidural comes to mind, I am so proud of myself for making it through and having another healthy baby!
The kids came up later and all enjoyed getting to set their eyes on our newest addition. I was so grateful for my mom she made the whole experience so relaxing for us. It was such a relief not to worry about our kids while we stayed at the hospital. Not to mention all the help she provided me with when I came home. Jason even had the best nights sleep that night on his huge blow up mattress!
So Camden Josephine blessed us with her arrival on Feb.8 in all her 7lbs 11oz glory. So far she is perfect and never cries and practically sleeps through the night. I love being her mom and love seeing the rest of the family bond to her the way I did for 9 months. I especially love seeing her daddy wrapped around her teeny tiny finger!

1 comment:

Staci J said...

Wow!!! What a story Andrea! You are amazing! Congratulations on such a beautiful baby girl, I love the name Camden too!