I am still feeling kind of churchy and have been pondering lately how to better align ourselves with the iron rod. For me it has always been pretty easy to not DO stuff like for example; rated R movies, take out my more than one earing in each ear, word of wisdom issues, gambling, keeping sabbath day holy just to a few that I did not struggle with. But for me sometimes the DOING like; daily scripture study, FHE, visiting teaching and other task such as those have been more of my struggles. I know that everyone has different struggles but for me I have always thought about how much harder the early saints had it and how great their sacrifices were and how much was asked of them it just strikes me as trivial and silly that I'd be unwilling to not watch Rated R movies. I'm sorry if this strikes a nerve with those I love but come on it's a movie and if it is hard for you just think of the blessings that have been promised by following his commandments. I know that I come off self-righteous but I really don't mean to I just do feel strongly about that issue. I guess what I'm saying is I feel very blessed that I don't live back then because I can't imagine the strength that they must of had to defend the church with their lives and sit and watch their loved ones do the same and everything they were asked truly is more than I can comprehend. Is Satan so much stronger now that the temptations for evil are hidden in these seemly trivial commandments? I guess it would make sense just look at how he twists the TV, computer, magazines, fashion, politics, movies, and even songs in to something bad. I always thought that when I was an adult it would be easy to live and follow the gospel just due to the fact that I would have a more clear perspective and for the most part that is true but I do find it can be more exhausting due to the fact that others now rely on your example. Just think how much our simple acts like getting to church on time or being seen reading our scriptures affects our family. Truly the most powerful examples come when we think no one is looking. I always like to think that He knows our capabilities and understands our limits and I have to believe he never gives more than we can handle but often does push our limits but through it all he's willing to guide and help us with our "burdens". I suppose that I know so much of these things because the Lord has given me such a powerful testimony through the many test, that whether I've passed or failed, I have been given. Life truly is meant to be enjoyed not just endured but sometimes we can easily lose focus that we truly are here for such a short time and each of us can help write our "movie" script. Although there will always be surprises and a lot we have no control over we can control our actions and we do have control over our destiny and happiness. We often take paths that are much harder than they need to be and we all know those that seemed to be determined to make life harder than He intended it to be,teenager self comes to mind, but hopefully when this life is over we will see and feel how worthwhile it all was because to me everything I do or have to do will be so worth it if only I can be with my loved ones for eternity, how can anything be worth more than that?








6 comments:
I'm often curious as to which blessings I'm losing out on. I mean, by not doing this, or by doing that what's the consequence? I mean, is it measurable and/or can you track it? Something tells me no, you can't do it this way... but another part of me finds that somewhat unjust. Of course, if I were to be perfectly obedient I could find out what it is by just asking... but since I'm asking what the consequence was indicates I wasn't obedient hence possibly not eligible for an answer at that time. I thought about this on the mission somewhat... I find the different levels of recognition of God's hand in our lives interesting. Some people are able to see God's hand in everything, and are they wrong? I don't know (we often call them crazy... but is that true or are we the ones lacking in True Sight). We preach that that's true, but that principle is difficult to understand sometimes, and common sense about such things are completely relative (I don't believe in common sense as a reliable source of testimony) tells us all at different levels as to what "just happens" and what's Gods influence. People who believe see the butterfly effect cause additional complications... I mean, just HOW much is willed by God and how much is only set into motion? Our agency is always there, but is the world we live in THAT planned? Again, I don't know, just thoughts I have. So, I guess we just do our best and hope we receive the blessing that could make things easier. All I'm saying is I'd like a tracking system is all heh.
As for rated-R movies: It's silly to focus on something like this in my opinion. It's cultural and it widely varies. Interesting enough they've removed the bullet in the Strength of Youth pamphlet that talks about rated-R movies. Basing what you should watch off of the MPAA is ridiculous. Some rated R movies are adult movies, I'm an adult thus I am not offended by watching quality film making. It's art, it's life, it's who we are. Any movie that doesn't achieve those criteria are worthless, and I've seen more PG and PG-13 that lie and misguide people about who we are as a society and what's acceptable for young people. I owe some really good virtues from some rated R movies. If you're biased because you have kids or are concerned about society etc, that's fine, that's perspective and I respect that. I, however, can choose to watch good rated R movies and not feel guilty because I understand these things, and I attribute the principles and good things I learn from them as blessings. See, it's all relative.
Sorry I completely must have missed the part when the prophet gave exceptions to the "don't watch rated R movies " sure they have also said to be careful of all movies content but they have never taken back the rated R commandment, sorry. It also seems like a poor defense to claim that you learn a great deal from some of these movies, if so maybe you're not seeking out enough of the right kind of entertainment. HF has given us specifics about the kind of blessings you get by being faithful, happiness, eternal marriage, health, earthly blessings, and the most vital feeling close to him. I can only attest that when I strive to do what's right everything in my life seems to work out in ways that I have to believe are done with help outside this world and that's not to say that even when I'm doing good bad things don't happen but I do not have the empty despair feeling because while striving for good I have increased my faith along the way and have been given the skills to cope with everything life brings. He has promised us so many specific blessings for doing things like; tithing, FHE, home teaching, and all the general commandments. Is there really anything in this world truly worth more than striving to do what he has asked, his pride in me seems worth it all. Why is it unjust to reward those that CTR? His plan is pretty simple do what he asks and he will bless you. This is one area Aaron that does not need to be analyzed, you know you spend so much time trying to figure out a way around just doing what you know you should do. If you put your head and heart doing these seemly trivial things I truly believe you wouldn't have to make sense of everything your purpose in life would seem clear.
Hey Andrea! Long time no see! Rachel gave me your blog address! How are things with you guys? Our blog is www.fullnelson3.blogspot.com
Oh, by the way, I completely agree with you about rated R movies. The prophet said don't do it. End of story. The point of following the prophet's counsel is not to get to the bottom of why you're doing it, it's to show your willingness to obey regardless of the reason. If Pres. Monson asked us to wear purple shoe laces on Tuesdays, I would do it. Not because it makes sense, but because I have promised myself and the Lord that I would follow His prophet no matter what. And for the record, not watching rated R movies DOES make sense. It may be art and it may be life, but in most cases, its offensive to the Spirit. Swearing, violence, nudity etc. drives away the spirit no matter how "real" it is. It's such a simple thing we can do to show our obedience and devotion, and what are we really missing out on anyway? In that regard, we have it pretty easy.
Whoosh goes my point over your heads. Whoosh goes thought out of your brains.
Not to say I'm surprised, you see, I've been there before. It's easier to just take something at face value. It's easy to just condemn the unknown. But don't take my word for it. Here's an article that will possibly enlighten. Though, hearts have probably been hardened towards this subject and not much will get through (I mean, who wants the sinner to be right? It looks bad for future credibility)
Hey Kelly! I;m so excited to here from you. i was just thinking about you the other day when the news ran a story on moving to the far lane when a cop has pulled someone over. I thought of your news debut! How have guys been? Can you believe it's been a year? I still feel like I just moved back. I'm still surprised at the things I miss about NC. One thing I don't is good Mexican food which we had tonight, no mozzarella cheese! Do you still talk with Rachel Garner how have they been, did they ever sell their house? Well I'll check out your blog now, hope to talk with you soon.
Andrea
Hey Andrea. Rachel must be sending out your blog address to everyone. Glad I found you! Come visit us - www.cletandalice.blogspot.com
Post a Comment