December

Saturday, June 7, 2008

Oh, to be young




Today there was a stake Activities Day program and being that I am a leader in it I got to go and spend the day with Payten and my niece Addisen. Thanks a lot Jenell for watching my other kids while Jason worked. It was sweet and cute and I believe each girl had fun learning about being a princess and making cute crafts. The funniest thing was when a 58 yr old women who was giving an etiquette and modest dress talk explained to the girls what T.H.O is, for you that never learned that name think what happens when a girl gets cold(and no she didn't use that term) it was so hard for me not to burst out with the giggles because everyone looked so horrified, she also told them that they should never wear a thong they just gave you a wedging all day long, Payten was so confused!But really the highlight was when she pushed her finger in between her breast and told the girls if the shirt bounced out your shirt was too tight and demonstrated a few times. Really she did a good job but it truly was amusing watching these little girls watch her. I really like the 8-11 year olds they are so innocent still.That is why I posted Payten's baptism pic from a year ago because she still looks that innocent. I can seriously sometimes close my eyes and can almost feel like I'm young again. What is the thing you miss most from those days? I miss truly having an imagination, I swear everything we played seemed so real. I also missed the way it felt to be done with school for the year and how exciting summer felt for no other reason than because it was summer, I know many of you are thinking that I'm not giving that to my kids but you know I could seriously digress and go off defending my my position on that. My parents always made sure we did some fun things every summer as a family, from camping ,or the beach or a serious trip like Disneyland we always had fun together, of course that was my perspective.
It's funny how stressful everything becomes when your an adult but as kids you only remember it being a good time. That is something I try to remind myself every time I really don't want to take my kids somewhere. It can be so hard remembering that this is their childhood and it really does mean that we have to as parents remove our stress from it. I'm going to make a list of everything and every experience I want my kids to have while they're young like a childhood to do list, then I will feel pressure to check it off, I love checking things off! It won't include only big things it will also be things like have a lemonade stand, watch for shooting stars and let me make your face up like a clown(you have to be my little bro or sis to get that one!) I want so much for my kids but sometimes my own laziness just gets the better of me, like letting them make big forts with all the blankets, it just can be so much extra work sometimes. This next week I am going to try canceling cable, yes again. It is amazing how something so simple can change your life. That said we'll still watch things online but that way we control when we watch certain things. Jason is not completely on board for my latest tirade about our, ok mainly his, TV watching. But he will be starting school again in two weeks so in away I'm doing him a big favor.
Well I'm going to start my list and I'll probably post it when I'm done, I'm curious what other people would put down on their list so please tell me a couple things that your list would include. I think I'll even involve my kids, a little I'm not sure I want to include all the big ideas that they might come up with!

3 comments:

Breanna said...

The list thing is a good idea. I think I will do the same thing. I am always wondering if my kids are getting the most out of their childhood and there are certain things I don't want them to miss out on.(even though they may not realize they are missing out, now)So once I sit down and take the time to do that we can share our ideas. I promise I am calling you TODAY!

Twyst said...

We did all those fun things without our parent planning them. Just got to give you kids the means to do it, and they'll do it. Don't have to plan your kids activities at home to ensure their childhoods are as rich and full as ours were. It's all relative anyway.

Treasure maps and home made movies are always fun.

mommyof6 said...

I completely agree with the fact that I shouldn't have to plan things just let them be but when I make a conscience effort in trying new things or things they hadn't thought of it they get so excited plus they like me to think of things sometimes and not always tell them go play. Mainly my ideas are things for our family to experience together. I am not as nice as mom was either so I do need to have an approved list.