December

Saturday, June 14, 2008

Homeschool'in

Ya, ya, I know you've all heard me go off about my homeschooling a million times but today I got to go with my sis in law Becky to a big homeschooling fair up near Seattle and had such an amazing and overwhelming time. For anyone that has concerns about not knowing how or what they'd use to homeschool because they think public schools are the only ones with access to good educational stuff just needs to step foot at a fair like this, you can get a good taste online also, to realize that public school kids are truly being short changed. No matter how your child learns there is several options of curriculum for your child , it is just awesome. No matter your views on the subject of homeschooling isn't there a comfort in knowing that if your neighborhood school doesn't fit your child or your child doesn't fit that school you have still an awesome option all hope is not lost. For me homeschooling showed me the path in which I was meant to parent. I do not look down on those that don't but you know how when something changes your life and you feel very strong about it it's hard to not want everyone around you to join in. I just hope that everyone at least has an opened mind to the option. If nothing else all moms should think of themselves as homeschooling at least in the beginning of their kids lives the only difference is some get to be the captains while others chose to copilot. It's just hard to turn that job over to someone that does not have the same love and devotion to my child that I do. That said I had a great time and we took my mom's Prius so we really saved on gas. It has been sunny for two days it almost is tricking me that it is June!

4 comments:

Twyst said...

I think I'm going to enroll my kids in public school so they can learn to rise above it and become stronger for it. That and I don't want my kids around all the time, no parent wants that!

Oh, and I club baby seals.

Breanna said...

You're right about how it's good to know you have the option if public sbhool's don't work out. I have always kept home schooling in mind as an option if I feel my children are being harmed in anyway; educationally, physically, emotionally.... Of course I do want my children to be strong and know how to deal with difficult situations (Aaron(=) but there can be a point where it is to much and not doing anyone any good! I think the biggest part is just to always be involved as much as you can and really know what is going on in your child's life.

mommyof6 said...

I completely agree with your comments I guess what my thoughts came down to is how involved can a parent really be when they are gone 8 hrs a day 5 days a week? with my experience Payten didn't tell me everything that went on because behaviors in school become what our kids view as normal. As far as the kids being around all the time it actually makes it easier then sending the oldest off when they could be at home helping clean and help with the little ones.But it can be trying at times.
Aaron you of all people are going to want to homeschool. Think of your experience with teachers and schools especially in grade school, think Mrs. Fred. It all comes down to what you can live with and what makes you happy so if that is Public school or killing baby seals great:) I'm sooo kidding about that last part.

Breanna said...

You need to put the lilypie birthday charts for your kids up on your blog, so I can remember when their birthdays are!