December

Friday, August 1, 2008

The meaning of "things"

I have been trying to find something to blog about this week. Every time I went to post my mind literally was blank. So I just decided to start typing and see where it leads me. We have been cleaning and organizing this week which I am so happy about. It is amazing how organizing can make life feel so good. I have started working on my kids Christmas list. This year will be TIGHT so I am trying to get a good head start on sales. Each child will get a big gift(around $30) and a couple small gifts. My friend does three gifts total for each of her kids(she is having her 8 and her oldest is 12) they represent that Jesus only got three . I am wanting to instill more of the true meaning of holidays into each of them. It can get tough when they know some kids that the toy store for each holiday, even St. Patricks day. Luckily most of my kids cousins are going to be having a similar Christmas. It is amazing how as a society we ingrain in our kids that receiving is of more value then all else. It kills me to he that the tooth fairy gave a child a few presents or more then some change. Sometimes I think parents get caught in the trap that gifts equate their love for their child. It is a trap that even I gets caught in. I do think that giving things shows affection but I don't think that the monetary value is what shows the affection. I have always been big on meaning in gifts although just getting what you want can be nice too. I love when my mom or grandma used to make us gifts. i can nearly recall every gift they made us from dolls to, decorations, clothes, photo albums and many other ones. I can remember how special they were just because of the time and loved put into them. I want to give more gifts like those and less "things" that are forgotten within the month. I of course am realistic enough to realize that kids love getting and playing with those"things" but I just want to take into account that because they're just things anyway why spend a lot on them. plus once you start spending a lot on gifts where do you go from there, especially with five kids. alright I'm done ranting on this one. Jason's working a double today and it's finally raining so we're taken it easy today. Oh ya Comcast finally picked up the cable box today. We have been receiving free cable for 3 weeks! My kids cried as they took it away. So now the true test goes into play. I was hoping to see Monk and Psych tonight, oh well we'll have to start using the computer. I promised my kids that now we'll play more games instead of watching tv and they quickly forgot about the loss of our channels which couldn't have made me feel any more prouder.

3 comments:

Jenell said...

Don't worry your kids will quickly remember the loss of the tv tomorrow when they want to watch something and again the next day and the next. They'll eventually forget but have fun with that. I kinda envy you doing it, but I also feel sorry for you. Your going to miss out on the Olympics, and, well I guess you can watch almost everything else on the computer, so you should be fine, its just the kids, no more tv babysitter. I know, I know thats a good thing, but lets be honest the tv can be a lifesaver sometimes.

Couldn't agree more about Christmas. I would love for our entire family to do a secret santa for someone in need. It doesn't have to be extreme, but I think it would be wonderful for the kids to see the true gift of giving.
I completely agree about greedy little kids(mine too) that always want, want, want and then as soon as they get it they forget about it with in a week.
Oh, I just had a good idea, why don't all of us girls get together and make teepee's for our kids, they would love it and if not that then maybe someone has another good idea of something we could make that they would actually have fun with longer then one week. Lets start asking around, if you like the idea.

mommyof6 said...

I loved when we got the same homemade gifts as our cousins. We should totally get together and make some gifts for them. I heard the amount of fabric for the tepees is expensive, we can ask Becky though I think she made them. The olympics can all be watched on the computer. We already have been watching some of the trials. Plus channel 8 comes in ,kind of, upstairs! Don't worry about the babysitting I have been planning this for awhile and have quite the collection of VHS. Got to love Goodwill!

Harries Family said...

I think that I will be taping more things for your children now, like a new improved Hannah Montana 3D show or Jonas Brothers 3D...who knows. I agree with the Christmas gift stuff. I totally remember the gifts that mom and grandma gave us. With just starting my family it will be easy to start doing only a few gifts and they will be used to that and not no any different. I want my children to understand the true meaning of xmas and have some truly memorable gifts.